Few things cause as much destruction as water.

Water damage is one of the most preventable types of damage but the also most destructive. Many times, water damage happens because the homeowner has failed to maintain their property. Even in new homes, some builders will cut corners and use cheaper components. You should educate yourself and learn some routine home maintenance to prevent an accident. Sometimes a $15 pipe can prevent damage repairs which can cost thousands of dollars. Learning what to look for can help you before damage occurs.

Water damage is very common in this area in spring and fall due to heavy rainfalls. Some people aren’t sure if they should call a plumber, a construction company… if you have water damage as well as mould, you really need to call a restoration company. Be sure to call your insurance company within 24 hours if you plan on making a claim. They can also recommend a company to help.

So what do you do if you have water in your home? Most importantly, you need to remove the water before it causes more damage. Then you need to fix or replace a few things. Decaying wood will split, crack or crumble, weakening structural stability. Fabrics and carpets will grow mold. Odours could linger for a long time if something isn’t done.

Hiring a professional who specializes in water damage is important. In Canada, the company you hire should be certified. One organization to look for when choosing a company is the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification (IICRC, The IICRC is a certification and Standards Developing Organization (SDO) non-profit organization for the inspection, cleaning and restoration industries. In partnership with regional and international trade associates, the IICRC serves more than 25 countries with offices in Canada.

For an estimate on water damage restoration, call RC White. They’re IICRC certified.